Registered Sex Offenders
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that the Library is in compliance with Tennessee Code Annotated § 40-39-216 which restricts the access of persons listed on the sexual offender registry to public libraries in the State of Tennessee. The Library reserves the right to enforce restrictions on access to the Library of an person listed on the sexual offender registry as authorized under, and in the manner contemplated by, Tennessee Code Annotated § 40-39-216. Access by persons listed on the sexual offender registry to the services of the Putnam County Library is restricted as follows:
- The issuance of a library card at any time to an individual who is listed on the sexual offender registry does not constitute permission to enter the library.
- Persons who are listed on the sexual offender registry may be eligible for some library services. They may receive information via telephone or online. They may register for a library card directly with the Library Director, or his or her designee, via telephone.
- Persons who are listed on the sexual offender registry may arrange for a designated individual to select, check out, and return materials to the library through possession of the affected person’s library card; however, the designee must also be registered with the library and shall provide identification when using the restricted patron’s card.
- Persons who are listed on the sexual offender registry may use their issued library card to access the library’s online materials or databases from a personal computer.
- No person listed on the sexual offender registry shall be physically present in any area of the library designated as a “children’s area” or “young adults’ area”.
- No person listed on the sexual offender registry shall be physically present on public library property during published children’s and/or teen’s programing. A schedule of children’s and/or teen’s programming will be posted on-line and at the entrance (bulletin board in lobby) of the library facility.
- Any person listed on the sexual offender registry who must pass through the children’s area or young adult area must not loiter, linger or pause in that area for any reason.
- Any person listed on the sexual offender registry who violates this policy will be asked to leave the library premises immediately, will be immediately reported to law enforcement, and all library privileges will be revoked.