Get a Library Card
Obtaining a Library Card
To receive a library card, you must present a photo ID and proof of residency. Example forms of ID include:
- Driver’s License/ID
- School ID
- Military ID
Examples of proof of residency include:
- Photo ID with current address
- Current voter registration card
- Current lease agreement
- Current vehicle insurance
- Mailed or online bill from the last 30 days
- Current mail (within 30 days)
- A P.O. box may be used as secondary address but is not accepted as address verification.
With your library card, you can:
- Check out 20 items total at a time (books, audiobooks). Ten of those items can be DVDs.
- Login to the online catalog account by using your library card number.
Through the online account, you can:
- Place holds on books
- View items checked out
- Renew items checked out
- View any fines on your account
- Save lists of titles
- Manage contact information
- Login to R.E.A.D.S, where you can check out e-books and audiobooks with the option to download them to your e-reader
- Access the News Bank resources through the Herald-Citizen
- Access the TumbleBook library to explore animated books for children
CHILD (LIMITED ACCESS)
Starting at age 5, a child may apply for a Child Card. The child must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian when applying for a card, and proof of residency and valid ID must be presented by the parent or guardian at time of application. Parent or guardian must sign off on application. Valid IDs and proofs of residency are listed above. Child accounts may not check out DVDs. Patrons ages 16 and older with a valid driver’s license are not required to have the parent or guardian present to sign off on the application.
A full-access Out-of-County Card is available to adult nonresidents of Putnam County for an annual, nonrefundable, out-of-county fee of $10.00. Out-of-county children are not charged the annual fee and may have a Child Out-of-County Card.
College and University Cards
Out-of-county residents currently attending a college or university located in Putnam County may receive a library card without paying the out-of-county fee. The applicant will need to meet the same identification and proof of current address as stated above as well as providing their current student ID. Once they are no longer attending the college or university, out-of-county fees will apply.
Residents outside of Putnam County may request a Guest Card for computer access only. Guests must show a valid photo ID. Guest Cards are valid for computer access only and may not be used to check out materials of any kind.
Library staff may issue library cards off site. The applicant will need to meet the same identification and proof of current address as stated above as well as a signature of a parent or legal guardian, if applicable.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need your pin number reset or have difficulty logging in.
Please include your library card number.