The Putnam County Library System’s Code of Conduct has a threefold purpose: to protect the rights and safety of library patrons, to protect the rights and safety of staff members, and to preserve and protect the library’s materials, facilities, and property. This Code of Conduct shall apply to all buildings, interior and exterior, and all grounds controlled and operated by the Putnam County Library System (such buildings and grounds are hereafter referred to as the “premises”) and to all persons entering in or on the premises.
1. Committing or attempting to commit any activity that would constitute a violation of any federal, state, or local criminal statute or ordinance or other Library Policy
2. Any behavior disruptive to library use
3. Sleeping or loitering
4. Food or drink
5. Soliciting or selling
6. Misuse of restrooms
7. Inappropriately clothed– shirt, pants/shorts/skirt, and shoes must be worn
8. Petitioning/distributing materials
9. Excessive number or size of bags and leaving personal belongings unattended.
10. The use of alcohol or controlled substances
11. Smoking or use of tobacco within 25 feet of any entrance of building
12. Failing to exit the building at closing or not following directions from staff during an emergency
13. Leaving children under the age of 10 unattended by a responsible adult
14. Bringing firearms and/or weapons onto the premises. A weapon is defined as any object whose purpose or use is to
15. Bringing animals into the library, except service animals, unless authorized by the Director or designee
16. Using or defacing the library building, furniture, equipment, or materials in a manner that could cause harm to self,
patrons, staff, or personal or public property or cause the library to incur costs for repair/replacement
17. Impeding ingress or egress to/from library premises
18. Engaging in harassing or threatening behavior toward patrons or library employees
Individuals whose actions violate any of these rules may be asked to leave the library or may be removed from the library by an officer of the law. Serious or repeated violation of the rules may result in a patron being banned from the library and/or permanently denied services.
Any patron whose privileges have been denied or revoked
shall also be notified by registered mail. A patron with suspended privileges
may appeal the designated punishment in writing to the Director within 7 days
of the date of the letter. The patron must state clearly why he/she believes
that his/her privileges should be restored.
The Director or a designee will respond to the appeal in writing within 7 days of the date the appeal was received. Further appeal may be made to the Putnam County Library Board of Trustees at their next scheduled meeting.